Thursday, August 20, 2015

Successful Panic Attack

How does somebody have a successful panic attack you may ask?

Last week I started to feel very anxious about an appointment I have coming up. It's something that I've been waiting on for a very long time, so I have had plenty of time to worry about it haha.

I received a call that they were changing the time of the appointment and after I hung up I thought to myself ok, no big deal, it's not like they've canceled it or changed the day completely. Suddenly I started feeling really anxious though, so I decided I would try and just journal to see where these feelings were coming from. Halfway through my journal entry I felt like I was going to cry. I don't like to cry because sometimes they can turn in to panic attacks. But sometimes you just need to cry you know? So I told myself ok, maybe that's all this is.

Of course it wasn't. It turned into a full blown panic. The kind where you're not sure if it's going to stop even after you've done the deep breathing techniques you've been doing since you were thirteen.

Finally after several minutes of this, I told myself that I was ok, and that it was ok if I took some medicine to help me calm down. Normally I'm stubborn and won't take anything and then later I'll have even more panic attacks. This time I decided to do something different and just admit that I needed the medication to help me calm down. I reminded myself that that's what it's there for and that it didn't mean I had somehow "failed" or something.

And you know what? Even though I did feel pretty sleepy the rest of day, I was able to continue to function and I haven't had another panic attack sense. I actually feel very proud of myself for managing my anxiety and taking care of myself, rather than denying that I needed a little extra help. I also was glad that I managed it on my own. Sometimes I'll call my mom and she'll come home and stay with me until I feel better. This time though I just called her to let her know what had happened but told her to stay at work because I had it under control. And I did have it under control.

That is what I call a successful panic attack.

What kind of successes are you having this week?

1 comment:

  1. I get panic attacks too recently. And I totally understand the dilemma of whether to cry or not to cry. Last few weeks ive been trying to fight my panic attacks by mentally refuting them. Telling my brain "youre lying! You know nothing of what's gonna happen. You're a sadist, jus wanna see me miserable. Shut up and go away!" . And with enough effort I was actually fighting it off. The sadness n need to cry left. Alhamdulillah

    Then a few days later my brain, knowing it couldn't get me sad and pathetic, filled my head with anger and fury. I entertained it fr somedays, but as soon as I figured out what was happening I started to fight it off too. But it all made me really tired the mental battle. It made me dizzy and weak (this happens all the time with panic attacks bt this time it was without the suffering).

    I don't know if I am ok now, but I know I have it a bit under control. Fill your days with more positive thoughts and read immense salawat upon the prophet. Faith is a beautiful and powerful thing. Allah will help you soon.

    Thought I'd share my experience.
    Tc. Lota of love. :)

    Your sister.

    ReplyDelete